Thursday, November 29, 2012

29. The best thing about NaBloPoMo ...

Actually, the prompt for today is "Tell us about three new blogs you found this year."

I made it a point to go to the "soup page" -- where NaBloPoMo participants would put up links to their posts -- and read what others had written. I tried to select three or four different blogs every day, but sometimes I was just too tired at the end of the evening (which is when I found myself writing my blog entries).

I was disappointed at how many people didn't follow the daily prompts, because part of the fun for me was reading how different people approach the same subject.  I was discouraged at how many really bad blogs are out there; "bad" is, I suppose a little unfair.  I was discouraged at how many blogs I had no interest in reading once, let alone returning to.  I think many of them would not have been started if Pinterest had existed when they were started -- there were countless crafty blogs and recipe blogs and helpful hints blogs, all with the same cookie-cutter style of writing and all with the same so-cute scrapbook appearance.  I found them tedious and uninteresting.

Even so, I did find a few gems among the participants ...

Tara, at Faith in Ambiguity, writes beautifully about subjects that interest me.  Come on, y'all know me: How could I not click on a blog link with that title?  She wrote a heart-wrenching post about another person's loss on Thanksgiving Day and a giggle-inducing one about her encounter with David Sedaris

Isobel, at What a Witch, writes powerfully about subjects that matter. The categories on her sidebar are varied, but this month she's been writing a lot about racism in this country and what it's like to be a Person of Color in the South (specifically, in Florida). She has gripped me with her passion and her knowledge and her facts (remember facts?). 

That's only two blogs, and the prompt calls for three. If my eyes weren't already drooping, I'd tell you about GingerSass and RedDirtKelly and PurpleDreamer and Tamara and LittleMissAttitude and a handful of others.  But for now, my friends, this will have to suffice.

5 comments:

  1. I find myself writing at night too. I much prefer the mornings for writing, but I am supposed to be working then, and I know I probably WON'T work at night but I WILL write the post since I said I would! Are you going to do the December NaBloPoMo? Your point about using the prompts is interesting. I only used one once because I always have so many ideas, but maybe I will try using them if I continue with this. The blogs you highlighted sound interesting, and I look forward to checking them out, and to reading more of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I won't be doing December. If I blog every day for a month EVERY month, then that's blogging every day forever! I do NaBloPoMo in November, because I think that was when the original was. Every once in a while, I'll pick up some other challenge.

      Delete
  2. WOW! I made your list! I am honored. Thanks! ;-)

    Can I admit something? I am so new to NABloPoMo (and blogging in general)that I didn't even realize there was a list of writing prompts until the 2nd week in. Yes, I did NOT do my homework. This is really nothing new. I tend to fly by the seat of my pants a lot. This is not my best trait.

    I won't be doing NaBloPoMo in December, but in January (or whenever I attempt it again) I will try to follow the prompts more closely. No promises though.

    I too am going to have to check out the other blogs you listed. Well, I have been following Purple Dreamer, Faith in Ambiguity (that title got my attention too), and Red Dirt Kelly. The rest I need to go read.

    Thanks again for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww that was really sweet of you to mention me! I'm really glad to have discovered your blog as well. I think one of the best parts of NaBloPoMo was discovering new blogs to read, even if I don't always have the energy to keep up with them!

    ReplyDelete