Sunday, November 18, 2012

How long, O Lord, how long?

How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?
    How long will you hide your face from me?
How long must I take counsel in my soul
    and have sorrow in my heart all the day?
How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?
 Psalm  13:1-2         

I know that after World War II, the Jews needed a safe haven, a place where they could live proudly as Jews.
I know that Golda Meir lied when she called Palestine a land without a people for a people without a land. There were people living there, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians -- Jews, Christians, and Muslims, who had lived side by side for generations upon generations.


I know that European Jews, like the Russian Jews before them, had their homes and their businesses seized, never to get them back.
I know that Palestinians have had -- and continue to have -- their homes and villages demolished, their farms, orchards, and olive groves seized, never to get them back.

I know that the Jews were forced to live in ghettos, in squalor and poverty and fear.
I know that the Palestinians have been forced to live in refugee camps, in squalor and poverty and fear.

I know that the Nazis treated the Jews as lower than animals, rounding them up and subjecting them to unimaginable horror.
I know that a revered Israeli general gloated that the Palestinians were "trapped like so many cockroaches" in the Sabra and Shatila refugee camps as he orchestrated their massacre. 

I know that 6 million Jews -- along with 11 million others (Catholics, Orthodox, Jehovah's Witnesses, Romany, Soviet POWs, mentally ill, physically and mentally disabled, deaf, homosexuals, intelligentsia ... ) -- were slaughtered during the Holocaust.
I know that God weeps for every soul that has died this last week -- that God has been weeping for generations for every Jew, Muslim, and Christian who has died at one another's hands.

How long, Lord, how long? When will your children learn?

1 comment:

  1. If only the men leading could read this post and reflect on these words. Perhaps they would be moved as I have been moved. Why have we not learned yet?

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete